One of my most favorite salads that I love to make on a hot summer day is this watermelon basil salad. The ingredients of watermelon, basil, fresh figs, feta, pine nuts and balsamic vinegar, make it the perfect combination of sweet and tart. Bright, colourful, easy, refreshing and super light, what more could you ask for. Every time I make this salad, it take me back to my trip to Spain, where I first had this delicious combination and I have been making it ever since. If I can’t find fresh figs, I will just omit them from the recipe and it still taste wonderful. Try it and you will see why this has become one of my favorite go to salads in the summer.
Here is what you will need:
- 1/2 watermelon cut into chunks
- 6 purple figs cut into quarters (optional)
- 1 cup of cubed or crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup nine nuts
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh cracked pepper
Here is how to make the salad:
- Cut the watermelon into cubes and add it to a large bowl.
- Cut the figs (if using) into quarters and add to the large bowl.
- Cut the feta and add it and the pine nuts to the large bowl.
- Add the basil leaves to the large bowl.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and fresh cracked pepper, toss the salad and serve.
I hope this recipe inspires you in your kitchen – enjoy!