Brunch is one of my favourite things to plan a menu for. Recently I had my in-laws over on a Sunday and I wanted to balance out the menu by having some sweet and savoury dishes to serve. That way, I could appeal to both sides of the palette. One of the dishes I made was a blueberry cake with leftover blueberries I had frozen in the freezer. It is a great way to use up the blueberries and have a snack for the kids school lunches. I hope you try this recipe and let me know what you think.
Here is what you will need:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1/4 cup plain sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar for the stoping
Here is how to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Grease an 8×8 square pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Toss the blueberries in a 1/4 cup flour and set aside.
- place a sheet of parchment paper at the bottom of the pan, the same size as the pan.
- Mix the egg and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the sour cream and the lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt together. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture alternating it with the milk and ending with the flour (i.e. flour, milk, flour).
- Fold in the blueberries, be careful to not over mix otherwise the blueberries will fall apart.
- Spread cake mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with sugar
- Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve.
I hope this recipe inspires you to be creative in your kitchen – enjoy!