This recipe is something that you can change up to make just about any scone with. Just swap out the chocolate chips and add whatever your preference is. This version I use chocolate chips, it is my go to when I am looking for something that is not overly sweat but fulfills my chocolate craving.
Here is what you will need:
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup of cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup of milk (with extra to brush on top of scones)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
- Course sugar to sprinkle on top
Here is how to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silpat.
- In a food processor combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add the butter and pulse until combined with the flour mixture.
- Add the milk and vanilla and pulse until a dough starts to form.
- Add in the chocolate chips (I used a cup) and pulse until some of the chocolate breaks up into the dough but most of the chips are still intact.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and gently fold over the dough trying not to handle it too much and shape into a disk about 1″ thick.
- Cut the dough into 8 wedges and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Brush lightly with the extra milk and sprinkle with course sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until they begin to turn golden brown.
I hope this recipe inspires you to be creative in your kitchen – enjoy!