Entertaining and making food for kids can be a tricky business at the best of times, especially if any of them are picky eaters. I am always looking for fast and fun recipes for Emma particularly if she is entertaining friends. Luckily I have found plenty of simple and delicious recipes that work for even the pickiest eaters and don’t take a lot of time to prepare. Crispy chicken taquitos has become one of my go to recipes. It is easy, fun to eat and has become one of Emma’s favorites to share with her friends.
Crispy Chicken Taquitos
Here is what you will need:
- 2 cups of shredded chicken (I like to use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup shredded mild white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1/2 cup of chunk salsa plus more for serving
- Eight 6-inch flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup of sour cream plus more for serving
Vegetable oil, for frying
- guacamole (optional)
Here is how to make the Crispy Chicken Taquitos
- Add enough oil to a heavy bottom pan to come 2 inches up the sides and heat over medium heat.
- Mix together the chicken, Cheddar, salsa and the cumin in a medium bowl.
- Spoon about a 1/4 cup of the mixture into the center of each tortilla, add the guacamole if using. Roll the tortillas tightly around the filling and secure with a toothpick.
- Place the taquitos in the hot oil and fry, flipping as needed to brown evenly, until crispy and golden brown, about 3 minutes.Only fry 2 or 3 at a time making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Remove the taquitos and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- Serve with salsa and/or sour cream for dipping.
I hope this recipe inspires you to be creative in your kitchen – enjoy!