I know, another jalapeno recipe – clearly my family love jalapenos. Bare with me, this recipe is a good one.
If you are like me, I find that I make more of certain things based on the season that I am in. So as the spring becomes more sunny and warm, I find myself back in the kitchen ready to bake my favourite things like the recipe that I am going to share with you today.
Corn bread has become very popular outside the southern states because of its wonderful aroma and amazing texture. What I like about corn bread is that it has a basic favour that you can easily change up or personalize with the ingredients that you add to it. Like adding cheese and jalapenos to take it over the top on the delicious scale. This recipe is a basic corn bread recipe that you can easily have fun with and add your own ingredients but I promise you, adding jalapenos and cheese will not disappoint!
Here is what you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup corn oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated (i have also subbed the cheddar cheese with parmesan cheese)
- 1 or 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 green onions chopped (optional)
Here is how to make it:
- Preheat an oven to 375°F. spray a 9-inch spring-form cake pan.
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the milk, sour cream, corn oil and egg.
- Fold milk mixture into the flour mixture. Be careful to not overmix.
- Gently stir in half of the grated cheese, green onion (if using) and the jalapeno
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.
- Cut into squares and serve.
I hope this recipe inspires you to be creative in your kitchen – enjoy!