There is nothing like the summertime and cooking outdoors. As soon as the warm weather hits, Paul and I are outside cooking up a storm with the smoker and BBQ. Using the BBQ like a stove or oven is great especially during the warm weeks of summer when it is so hot, the last thing you want to do is heat up your kitchen cooking.
One of my favorite things to do on the BBQ is roasting tomatoes to make pizza sauce. The hint of smoke flavour you naturally get from roasting the ingredients on the BBQ is out of this world and creates such a unique taste to your pizzas or pizzettes.
BBQ Pizza Saoce
Here is what you will need:
- Vine Tomatoes
- Whole garlic cloves
- Fresh Basil leaves
- Whole onion cut into wedges
- Fresh Oregano
- Fresh Thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Olive Oil
Here is how to make it:
- Heat your BBQ to 425 (one burner on and one burner off. (If you have 4 burners, put the two outer burners on and the center ones off) this will create an oven like effect when cooking.
- On a baking sheet fitted with parchment paper add your tomatoes, garlic, basil, onion, thyme, oregano.
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and toss.
- Once your BBQ is at the right temperature, place the baking sheet on the off burners and close the BBQ lid. Cook for 25 minutes until the ingredients get soft and easily mashed with a fork.
- Take the ingredients off the BBQ and let cool slightly.
- Place the ingredients in a bowl and mash with a fork for a more rustic sauce or place in a food processor and blend until desired consistency.
I hope this recipe inspires you to be creative in your kitchen – enjoy!