I love strawberries, they are amazing on their own, in food and even in beverages. Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamins C and K as well as provide fiber, folic acid, manganese and potassium. They have a wonderful aroma, bright colour, beautiful texture and smell so sweet – what’s not to like. Next to apples, these are Em”s and Clarence’s favorite fruit to eat every which way you can think of. This week my blog will be focusing on 3 of my favorite strawberry recipes Strawberry Sauce, Strawberry Crisp and Strawberry Coffee Cake. Hope you enjoy them as much as my family does. So lets get started with the strawberry sauce.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 quart of fresh strawberries
- 1 tsp of good quality vanilla,
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
How to make the strawberry sauce:
- Cut the heads (the green leafy part) of the strawberries off.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat add the strawberries, vanilla, sugar and mix well. As the strawberries warm they will begin to sweat, continue to stir every couple of minutes.
- After about 5 – 10 minutes, the strawberries will be mushy and there will be lots of strawberry juice int he pan.
- Take strawberries off the heat and cool slightly. Pour slightly cooled mixture into a blender and pulse 3 to 4 times (mixture will be slightly chunky) or to the consistency you desire.
- Pour mixture into a glass jar and let cool. Serve with anything and everything you like strawberry sauce on.
I hope this recipe inspires you to be creative in your kitchen – enjoy!