I love strawberries! If you have been followed my blog this week you would know that this weeks posts are all about the wonderful world of strawberries. They are a romantic fruit, a sweet sensation and very versatile. I love dropping a plump juicy strawberry into a glass of procesecco on a hot afternoon in the summer. This week I have shared with you a recipe for strawberry sauce that I have been know to eat right out of the jar with just a spoon, a strawberry crisp recipe that is so simple and easy yet divine, to this coffee cake recipe that you can enjoy any time of day because it is not too sweet for breakfast or afternoon coffee and can also hold its own as a dessert. whatever your desire, if you love strawberries, you will love this recipe.
Strawberry Coffee Cake
Here is what you will need:
- For the topping
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp of granulated sugar
- For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 3/4 of a cup of Miracle Whip
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 pint of fresh strawberries hulled and coarsely chopped
How to Make the Strawberry Coffee Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 rectangle pan.
- To make the topping stir together cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- To make the cake, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium- high speed, beat the eggs and sugar for 1 minute. Add the Miracle Whip and milk and beat on high speed for about 2 minutes. The batter will be think and pale (thick like banana bread batter).
- In another bowl stir together, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nut meg and salt.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the egg mixture. Beat until thoroughly blended.
- Add the strawberries and any of their juices and using a large rubber spatula fold in the strawberries, just until evenly distributed. Do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkling topping evenly over the cake batter.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes our clean.
- Let cook for about 5 minutes, run a knife around the sides of the pan. Cut into squares and serve with homemade whip cream or sprinkle a dusting of icing sugar if desired before serving.
I hope this recipe inspires you to be creative in your kitchen – enjoy!