Pumpkin pie is a pie that is really only prepared at Thanksgiving. I always find myself making one even though no one in my family really likes it – it just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without it. The colour of pumpkin pie can range from orange to a light brown and has a wonderful hint of clove and nutmeg to the filling.
Here is what you will need:
For the pie crust:
Note: This recipe make one 9 inch pie crust.
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 Tbs. ice cold water
For the filling:
- 6 large tart apples (I prefer granny smith)
- 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of cold butter cut into 6 pieces
Here is how to make it:
- In a stand mixer, (or food processor fitted with the dough blade) fitted with the flat beater, stir together the flour, sugar and salt in the mixer bowl.
- Add the butter and toss to coat with the flour mixture.
- On medium-low speed mix until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add the water and mix on low speed just until the dough pulls together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, pat into a ball and flatten into a disk.
- Lightly dust the top of the dough or the rolling pin with flour as needed, then roll out into a round about 1/8 inch thick.
- Place dough into a prepared 9 inch pie plate.
- Refrigerate the pie shell for 30 minutes.
- Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat at 350°.
- Take the pie shell out of the fridge after 30 minutes and line with parchment paper large enough to cover the sides.
- Place a generous amount of pie weights at the bottom of the plate and bake the pie shell and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the dough is a pale yellow colour.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the brown sugar and eggs until well blended.
- Mix in the cinnamon, ginger, clove, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the pumpkin puree and cream and mix until well combined.
- Add the puree into the partially baked pie shell.
- Bake the pie until the center is firm in the middle 35 – 45 minutes.
- Remove pie from the oven and let cool before serving,
- Serve with a dollop of whip cream.
I hope this recipe inspires you in your kitchen – enjoy!