Recently I was a a neighborhood BBQ. It is a great event that happens every year with friends getting together to enjoy good food, conversation and music. Everyone brings something to the BBQ whether it is a homemade beer for everyone to taste, an instrument to play with the neighborhood band and of course food for everyone to enjoy. This year my friend Kathryn made corn fritters. Corn fritters to me are something I love to eat but never think of making. They are so good warm but even better cold or the next day with breakfast. Kathryn was kind enough to share her recipe with me and I literally made them the next day lol. I added a couple of ingredients for flavour and they turned out amazing! They are so easy to make and a great way to enjoy corn while it is in season.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 2 cups of corn
- 1 tbsp of melted shortening (I used Bacel)
Here is how to make them:
- In a large bowl mix flour, salt, baking powder, paprika and chili powder together.
- Add the milk and combine.
- Add the corn and mix until the corn is incorporated.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the corn fritters until golden.
- Place on a paper towel to drain.
- Let cool slightly before serving or enjoy them at room temperature or even cold.
- Serve with sour cream.
I hope this recipe inspires you in your kitchen – enjoy!