I love baking pies. For me, the smell fills my house with such goodness. My family always looks forward to dessert on Sundays especially, when I have made a homemade pie. This is one of my favourite pies to make and eat. I know you will love it!
Here is what you will need:
- 2 rolled-out rounds of pie dough (for my pie dough recipe https://athomeca.com/2018/11/05/as-homemade-as-apple-pie/
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 2 Tbs. quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 6 cups mixed fresh berries ( blackberries, blueberries,
- 1 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Here is how to make it:
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Take one of the dough rounds and transfer to a 9-inch pie dish.
- Pat it firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Trim the edge of the dough, leaving 3/4 inch of overhang. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, tapioca, cinnamon and salt. Place the berries in a large bowl, sprinkle with the sugar mixture and toss to distribute evenly. Immediately transfer to the dough-lined pan. Dot with the butter.
- Fold the second dough round and place over the filled pie. Trim the edge leaving 1 inch of overhang, then fold the edge of the top round under the edge of the bottom round and crimp the edges to seal.
- Using a small, round cookie cutter or a small, sharp knife, cut 5 or 6 holes or slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Refrigerate the pie until the dough is firm, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake the pie until the crust is golden and the filling is thick and bubbling, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let cool. Serve at room temperature
I hope this inspires you to be creative in your kitchen- enjoy!