I love these yummy Italian lemon cookies. My mom use to always make them at Easter but they are great for any holiday or special occasion. I use to always look forward to these cookies and beg my mom to make them throughout the year but sadly it was only at Easter. I guess that is why I love them so much because we only had them once a year. They have a nice fresh taste that reminds me of spring. You can find many versions of this recipe that vary slightly, regardless of the different variations, I know you will enjoy them!
Italian East Cookies
Here is what you will need:
- For the cookie dough:1/2 cup of sugar
- 6 tbs of of soft butter (you can use vegetable shortening)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- For the icing
- 3 cups of icing sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- tsp of lemon extract or lemon juice
- Coloured sprinkles for decoration
How to make the Italian Easter Cookies:
- How to make the cookie dough:
- Preheat oven to 350°and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat sugar, vanilla, butter until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in flour and baking powder (dough should be soft and sticky).
- There are many ways to shaped the cookies:
- Drop dough on to a cookie sheet with a spoon.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill the dough (cold dough is easier to work with) then break off pieces and roll with floured hands to form into a ring shape (I like this way the best).
- Spoon dough into a pastry bag fitted with a round tip and pipe 2-inch diameter rings onto the cookie sheet lined with parchment. Press the ends of the rings together with your fingers.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the cookies are golden.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool.
- How to make the icing:
- Whisk together sugar, water, lemon extract (or juice if using) until well blended. Thin with more water if icing is too thick.
- Brush icing on cookies and decorate with coloured sprinkles.
I hope this recipe inspires you to be creative in your kitchen – enjoy!